Los Angeles eating tour and beyond...

Thursday, February 24, 2005

Make Me Wanna Halal: Makkah Halal Tandoori

Makkah Halal Tandoori
401 S. Vermont Ave (4th and Vermont)
Wilshire Center/Koreatown, Los Angeles

Following this android's recent discovery of a short trek by foot from his place of employment (where he moonlights as a human being) to the busy intersection of 3rd and Vermont, a whole world of lunchtime opportunities has opened up. After brifly considering the Sizzler salad bar, this android stumbles on a predominantly Korean minimall (which is the rule in the part of town). What caught my eye was a sign saying "CUISINE OF INDIA" and what sold me was another sign reading "LUNCH BUFFET."

I was so there.

Makkah has a lunchtime, 10-course, all-you-can-eat buffet for $8.95 which is more than worth it. I piled my (first) plate with a salad, saffron rice, nice, crisp naan flatbread, tandoori chicken marsala, some beef-type stew item and a vegetable soup of some sort. There was another hotplate with some cooked vegetables but unfortunately it had been depleted by the time I arrived. Tandoori means northern Indian food, and Halal refers to a certain kind of meat as dictated by Islamic custom (sort of like a Muslim version of Jewish kosher...and I still wonder why they keep fighting...oh well...). The Koreatown location isn't so unusual, considering the Islamic Center of Southern California mosque is conveniently located across the street (next to the aforementioned Sizzler).

To cut a long story short (and to keep from usurping this food blog which I was graciously invited to contribute to (thanks J & G), that tandoori chicken marsala was the most flavorful chicken-related dish I've had since TiGeorge's Hatian restaurant. That and some more pieces of naan occupied my second plate. (4/5 out of 5)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home